STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. — Fall can current hidden risks to pets.
1. Mushrooms: Wild mushrooms thrive throughout the fall. The cool local weather and damp leaves provide an ideal place for them to develop. Earlier than you let your pet out, take a fast look and pull any that they may eat.
2. Fleas: Fall is the height season for fleas. They will reside properly into temperatures within the 30s. Watch your pet to search for indicators.
3. Ragweed and mould: Seasonal allergy symptoms can have an effect on your pet as properly. Itching, scratching and watery eyes are just a few indicators. Bathe them commonly; it’s their finest protection.
4. Antifreeze: A small quantity will be harmful to your animal, and some licks will be lethal for smaller pets.
5. Mothballs: They appear fairly harmless, however they’re toxic to animals. Hold them out of attain.
I’d wish to introduce you to Quest. This candy pup and his siblings are in search of a house.
In the meantime, Brewster is a cuddler. He loves to sit down in your lap and cuddle, however also can offer you some house. For extra data, attain out to SICAW at 718-948-5623 or sicawsaves.org.
Because of the volunteers who’re dedicated to serving to these animals get adopted by loving households such as you. It takes a big period of time and dedication to volunteer on the animal rescues listed beneath.
Earlier than adopting a brand new fur buddy, volunteers manage pet occasions each week in and across the borough, ship out bulletins, maintain fundraisers, assist with provides, clear cages, feed animals, make certain a pet’s medical wants are attended to and a lot extra. All of that is completed with out pay, all for love, and behind the scenes.
In case you are seeking to undertake, please keep in mind that there are loving senior and disabled pets who want your care and a spotlight, too.
In case you’re unable to undertake, please contemplate volunteering, donating or fostering, or sharing this web page with somebody who can.
Upcoming pet occasions in and across the borough are listed beneath, together with native locations to eat together with your canine and dog-friendly parks on Staten Island. Click on by the images above to fulfill the lovable canine and cats up for adoption this weekend.
- Louie’s Legacy will likely be at PetSmart, 1525 Forest Ave., from 11 a.m. to three p.m.
- Louie’s Legacy will likely be at Boris and Horton, 195 Avenue A, Manhattan, from 11 a.m. to three p.m.
GIFTS FOR ANIMAL LOVERS
Stellar Villa is a New York Metropolis-based artist who not too long ago raised over $11,500 for pet shelters after she single-handedly created 1,252 customized items of artwork of individuals’s pets over the course of 21 days. Now, she is working to create ongoing partnerships with native animal shelters to proceed elevating cash. In case you’re in search of a present for a canine lover, try Stellar’s work.
Do you’re keen on canine? Do you’re keen on beer? Then fetch a chilly one on the Flagship Brewing Co.’s Canine Membership. The membership will meet each Wednesday from 5 to 11 p.m. within the Flagship Brewery taproom, 40 Minthorne St., off Bay Avenue.
Flagship’s Canine Membership is for that particular breed of canine and beer lovers who can deliver their well-behaved pups to the conferences. As soon as a month, there will likely be a visitor speaker to speak about their very own specialty or information concerning the welfare of their treasured, loyal mates.
For extra data, go to https://www.restaurantji.com/ny/staten-island/the-flagship-brewing-company-/ or name 718-448-5284.
1. Low-cost or free spay and neuter: The ASPCA’s free and low-cost cell spay and neuter van travels all through the 5 boroughs in each neighborhood.
Low-income pet homeowners within the 5 boroughs with proof of public help, corresponding to welfare, Medicaid, Medicare, Supplemental Safety Earnings (SSI), incapacity, meals stamps, TANF (Non permanent Help for Needy Households) or public housing qualify without spending a dime spay/neuter providers for his or her cat or canine. In case you have a pit bull, pit-bull combine or sure giant breed canine, it’s additionally free.
For actual occasions the van will likely be in your space in addition to pre-visit directions, go to aspca.org/pet-care/spayneuter or name 877-SPAY-NYC (877-772-9692).
2. Apply for a canine license. Save time and postage by making use of on-line. For an utility or extra data, go to nyc.gov/doglicense. View the flyer within the gallery above.
HOW TO CONTACT LOCAL RESCUE GROUPS
- Animal Care Facilities of NYC; 212-788-4000, nycacc.org; positioned at 3139 Veterans Street West. Adoption hours: Monday-Friday, midday to eight p.m.; Saturday and Sunday, 10 a.m. to six p.m.
- Fur Associates in Want, New Jersey-based group with Staten Island members and adoption occasions on the Island; 732-829-1426, email@example.com, furfriendsinneed.com.
- Joyful Properties Animal Rescue, New Jersey-based group with Staten Island adoption occasions; 914-393-8292, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com; happyhomesinc.org.
- Louie’s Legacy; 646-397-LLAR (5527), firstname.lastname@example.org, louieslegacy.org.
- Mama Chris Animal Rescue Inc.; 347-983-2240, email@example.com, mamachrisrescue.org.
- New York Bully Crew; 844-633-NYBC (6922), firstname.lastname@example.org, nybullycrew.org.
- P.L.U.T.O. Rescue of Staten Island; 718-227-0553, email@example.com, plutorescue.org. Please word: P.L.U.T.O. is working with and selling the adoption of animals from the Related Humane Society in Newark, N.J.
- Staten Island Council for Animal Welfare (SICAW); 718-948-5623, sicawsaves.org.
- Staten Island Hope Animal Rescue; firstname.lastname@example.org, statenislandhopeanimalrescue.org, 800-477-9168.
- Victory for the Unvoiced Animal Rescue; 718-442-1625, AdoptVictory4theVoiceless@gmail.com, victory4thevoicelessanimalrescue.com
ALFRESCO DINING WITH YOUR DOG
Alfresco eating is quickly suspended because of the coronavirus outbreak.
· Angelina’s Ristorante, 339 Ellis St., Tottenville, 718-227-2900
· The Burrito Bar, 585 Forest Ave., West Brighton, 718-815-9200
· Ciro Pizza Café, 862 Huguenot Ave., Huguenot, 718-605-0620
· Killmeyer’s Outdated Bavaria Inn, 4254 Arthur Kill Rd., Charleston, 718-984-1202
· Shake Shack, Staten Island Mall, 2655 Richmond Ave., New Springville, 929-529-0513
· Silver Lake Golf Course, 915 Victory Blvd., Silver Lake, 718-442-4653
Name forward for reservations. For extra data, try NYC Dogs in restaurant rules.
· Allison Park, off-leash space, discipline on the finish of the path bordered by Prospect Avenue, Sailors Comfortable Harbor Cemetery, and the pond.
· Amundsen Path, off-leash space, between Amboy Street and Hylan Boulevard.
· Arthur Von Briesen Park, off-leash space, garden space, mid-park on the proper facet.
· Bloomingdale Park, canine run, Maguire Avenue behind athletic fields nearer to Ramona Avenue.
· Clove Lakes Park, off-leash space, open discipline above picnic space close to Royal Oak Street and Rice Avenue.
· Clove Lakes Park, off-leash space, Brookside Avenue between Alpine Courtroom and Kingsley Avenue (garden space).
· Clove’s Tail Park, off-leash space, garden space, nook of Victory Boulevard and Little Clove Street.
· Convention Home Park, canine run, Clermont Avenue and Massachusetts Avenue.
· Cozzens Woods Park, off-leash space, Web page Avenue between Hylan Boulevard and Amboy Street.
· Crescent Seashore Park, off-leash space, Tennyson Drive and Glover Avenue. Situated at meadow space resulting in seashore.
· Evergreen Park, off-leash space, Greaves Avenue and Evergreen Avenue.
· Father Macris Park, off-leash space, garden past ballfield.
· Ida Courtroom Playground canine run, Ida Courtroom between North Railroad Avenue and Drumgoole Street East.
· Lemon Creek Park, off-leash space, backside of Seguine Avenue at Johnston Terrace; slightly below playground.
· Siedenburg Park, off-leash space, Greaves Avenue and Evergreen Avenue.
· Silver Lake Park, canine run, Victory Boulevard beneath the pavilion, throughout from the Parkview Flats.
· South Seashore Park, off-leash space. Observe: On sand after Labor Day and earlier than Memorial Day.
· Willowbrook Park, off-leash space, Archery Vary Subject.
· Wolfe’s Pond Park, canine run, to the left of Cornelia Avenue.
For extra data with guidelines and laws, go to nycgovparks.org/facilities/dogareas.
BEACHES AND BATHING FACILITIES
Canines will not be allowed to enter any bathing services, together with New York Metropolis seashores. Nonetheless, from Oct. 1 by Could 1, leashed canine are allowed on the sand and boardwalk at Midland Seashore and South Seashore.
Leashed canine are allowed on the boardwalk/promenade at Midland Seashore and South Seashore.
For extra data with guidelines and laws, go to nycgovparks.org/facilities/dogareas.
PET POISON HELPLINES
In case you assume your pet might have ingested a doubtlessly toxic substance, contact the Pet Poison hotline at 855-764-7661 or petpoisonhelpline.com, or contact the ASPCA Animal Poison Management Heart at 888-426-4435 or aspca.org.
Because the seasons change, take note the vegetation which might be toxic to animals: https://www.rover.com/blog/poisonous-plants/
TO REPORT ANIMAL CRUELTY
To report an incident of animal abuse, name Crime Stoppers at 800-577-TIPS or go to www.nypdcrimestoppers.com.
To contact an environmental conservation police officer or report suspected violations, contact the DEC Regulation Enforcement Dispatch Heart at 844-DEC-ECOS (844-332-3267) or dec.ny.gov/.