Egyptian producer Mohamed Hefzy’s manufacturing shingle Film Clinic –– at Venice with “Amira,” Mohamed Diab’s drama about Palestinian kids conceived behind bars with smuggled sperm –– is getting a monetary increase that may triple its sources simply as two new movie and TV tasks go into manufacturing.
Movie Clinic is having an impressive competition presence this 12 months. They lately took the highest Cannes Critics’ Week nod with Omar El Zohairy’s “Feathers,” and are actually within the Venice Horizons part with “Amira” (pictured); it can quickly be in Toronto with Hany Abu-Assad’s “Huda’s Salon.”
Now the corporate could have the monetary muscle to take issues to the subsequent stage thanks a brand new accomplice, government-affiliated outfit Ergo, which is taking a 49% stake in Movie Clinic, whereas Hefzy and different companions will retain management of the remaining 51%.
Hefzy underlined that whereas the seed cash comes from a authorities financial institution, the corporate is personal, managed by Egyptian personal fairness fund NI Capital, which is the funding arm of Egypt’s Nationwide Funding Financial institution.
Movie Clinic, which moreover its movie and TV manufacturing core enterprise additionally has a separate movie distribution facet, is now being restructured below a single Abu Dhabi-based holding firm.
“The funding goes to assist foster our manufacturing, improvement, in addition to our distribution exercise,” stated Hefzy, including that “it can triple our sources, given that there’s fairness funding and in addition credit score facility that we will faucet into.”
In terms of negotiating with streaming giants, having broader shoulders signifies that Movie Clinic might be in a position “to have extra management over the IP that we’re producing,” since “to do this you want capital,” quite than simply be “government producers.” They lately made Arabic supernatural drama “Paranormal” for Netflix.
On the big-screen facet, Movie Clinic goes to proceed to steadiness its slate between star-driven industrial movies for the native market and the extra status titles for the worldwide market that it’s been taking to festivals.
By way of new motion pictures, capturing will begin in per week on characteristic “Cairo Mecca,” directed by Hani Khalifa (“Sleepless Nights”) concerning the many struggles of girls in Egyptian society. Pic stars Mona Zaki, who will even quickly be seen within the Arabic adaptation of hit Italian dramedy “Good Strangers,” on which Movie Clinic is a co-producer. There are additionally two smaller movies by first-time Egyptian feminine administrators, nonetheless being stored below wraps.
On the sequence facet, Hefzy stated Movie Clinic is in manufacturing on “Bimbo,” a “noirish comedy present set in Cairo” co-directed by Amr Salama (“Paranormal”) and Omar Roushdy. The present is commissioned by MBC’s Shahid VIP streaming platform. In addition they have two different sequence tasks in improvement with high streamers, one in every of which for Genomedia.